Monday, August 27, 2012

Social Media Privacy


I believe that privacy is not guarantee at all when you use social media. “A judge ruled earlier this year that users have no privacy rights in their Twitter accounts. Twitter is challenging the rulings and today made new arguments, including that individuals have a 4th Amendment right in their Twitter account and that deleted tweets are not automatically public.” http://gigaom.com/2012/08/27/twitter-files-appeal-in-major-social-media-case/

Each individual creating a social online profile should have the mindset that privacy will not be guarantee and be careful about the information that is been posted.
We should have the expectation of privacy and that is exactly what we have just an expectation.  The company’s privacy statement is too long to read and I just click on agree to terms and conditions. Therefore I only have an expectation of privacy from the company and it is up to me to do my best to have privacy. First of all I only add people who I know to online profiles and adjust privacy in account settings. Privacy with online profiles please, that is a joke, want privacy? Do not have an online profile. Once is published in the Internet it is there to stay and for the world to see.  2010 has been a year of both growth and challenges for social media websites. Although more people and companies are finding innovative ways to use these websites, their successes have been marred by privacy concerns. In fact, as the popularity of social media continues to grow, the focus on privacy protection becomes even sharper among those who use these websites.”http://www.reputation.com/reputationwatch/articles/top-five-social-media-privacy-concerns-2012
 The circumstances are not going to change, we as profile users break our own privacy. Most of the time online profiles users create their own violation of privacy, by publishing personal information (phone number, email, address, work information, education). This issue about personal information is clearly explained in this video along with other privacy concerns.  


Having an online profile you have little or no privacy. Some profiles can be very addictive. Having inappropriate comments or uploads can lead to harassment or threats from opposite parties; also to not obtaining employment, emotional discomfort.  Online profiles are not for everybody, some people just do not have a clear understanding of what is the intended purpose of the profile. At the end each individual gives his or her own intended purpose.


What Can I Do? Social Networking Privacy: How to be Safe, Secure and Social


5 comments:

Unknown said...

What privacy? There is NO privacy with social media. I agree that privacy is no longer available. Facebook is one of the best examples of this, when friends send requests for app. There is a notification that asks “do you mind if posts are made on your behalf”? All of your friends can see when you are listening to the 80’s on Slacker Radio. All of your friends can see that you just ran 3.5 miles in 64 minutes. Some of these posts are not bad and can give your friends an opportunity to see your accomplishments, maybe even cheer you on. However, some aspects of your social life are not meant for everyone to see! The video posted stated that 25% of users are not even aware of these settings! I am one of the 25% that was not aware of the settings and the fact that certain applications will automatically post to my Facebook. Also technology has continued to improve to where Facebook connects with applications on your phone and post information on your behalf. On my android phone I use Slacker Radio. I did not know that Slacker Radio was posting to my Facebook page until I logged onto Facebook on my computer! The Privacy Rights Clearinghouse website it a great tool! I will use this; information like this is so great to have! It lays it all out; it is easy to understand and can help many people on different levels.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this important information! Like Stephanie, I did not know that apps could post to Facebook. I found the Privacy Rights attachment very useful, and the information in your blog enlightening, if not someone alarming. I get the feeling that there really isn't much one can do to completely protect privacy. As an educator, maintaining a certain level of privacy is a professional necessity. I'm determined to play closer attention to my settings and yes, perhaps even read the privacy agreements before I click "I agree" on social media sites.

Pedro J. Martinez said...

Thank you for your comments Stephanie and Kim. Privacy is just a joke and the most important thing is that we ourselves publish private information. Social media it is not for everyone and has to be very careful how to manage your online profiles. But I have to agree that there are also positives benefits out of social media, however customer's privacy must be a priority to social media company.

Dominic Bethke said...

I agree with Pedro as well.

If a person thinks they can have an account and that information will remain private, does not understand what is actually happening to their information. I interned for a company in their Information Security department and was shocked to find out that information collected from their customers, in whatever fashion it was collected, was sold to the highest bidder. I am serious. And the company I interned for was a large corporation with a great brand image. A well trusted company. The only information that was not sold was the information protected by policy. Why would a company not profit from information they are paying to collect? Also, the fact that they own their customers' information is in the terms of agreement. Learning this made me really think about what information I give away online, because there is no telling who is paying to get it.

Renita F. said...

Nice post, Pedro. All too often, social media users get wrapped up in the "fun" of sharing and forget the need to protect their personal information. I especially liked the way one video took us on a reverse journey of the evolution of communication. It showed how information once took thousands of years to circulate but can now be shared by thousands in the blink of an eye.

I am a huge advocate of minimizing the amount of information shared, even down to something as basic as my name. Generally, when a new user signs up for a new account, they are asked for basic info (name,
birthday, state, etc.) which they freely provide, in order to access a new website. However, many people do not understand just how critical that "basic" information is to protecting their privacy. With a few pieces of basic info, your identify could be stolen, inappropriate content can be located, personal affairs can go public, and countless other unintentional consequences.

How many people actually take the time to read the terms of agreement? I would take a guess that the percentage is very low. However, shouldn't we take the time to consider what language is in an agreement which could potentially infringe upon our privacy? To make a stronger case, you could incorporate videos highlighting individual experiences with privacy issues. I enjoyed the post! Thanks!